Fire damages home in Hoonah

    Photo credit to Hoonah Department of Public Safety.

    Hoonah, Alaska (KINY) - A single-family home on Hoonah Court suffered about $10,000 in damage, Hoonah Fire Chief Jason Goins said.

    Chief Goins said the fire call came in at 5 pm Tuesday.  By the time volunteers arrived, the residents and neighbors had been able to knock down the flames.

    Goins said there were no injuries in the blaze.  It appeared the occupant left a pan of oil on the stove unattended, it flared up and started a fire in the kitchen area.  The stove and cabinets were damaged.

    "Don't walk away from boiling oil, just don't, it's a bad thing to do," he added.

    Goins said the family has some painting and cleaning up to do before they can live in the home.

    More from News of the North